Ah summer. When I was a kid summer was THE BEST. School was out, the weather was great, there were more things to do and everyone had plenty of time. I grew up in Michigan, and summer was definitely my favorite time of year. I remember swimming and bonfires and camping and FOOD. It was magical. We even ate differently in the summer. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful, whereas they really weren't even available throughout the rest of the year.

As I grew older I somehow lost that summer magic. I moved to southern California with my husband and 3 kids, and summer became just another season, so much like the other seasons. I did my best to create the magic while my kids were young, but by the time they were grown it was gone.

Last year I caught myself dreading summer, and actually heard myself saying the words, "I hate summer." I realized it was time for an intervention. I made a "Summer To Do List" and forced myself to get out there and have fun. I went to the beach, enjoyed Shakespeare in the park, picnicked, swam, watched movies under the stars and ate homemade lavender ice cream AND recruited lots of friends and family to do it all with me. Summer was back! It was such a valuable lesson, as I learned that I have to continue to create my life, my fun.

So as June 21st approaches I've started my new Summer To Do List. I really don't need it anymore, but I'll keep it there as a reminder to create, to enjoy, to have fun.

This blog is part of that. Those of you who know me know that I love good food, and I love to share it with people I love. In an effort to try new things and eat healthily, I've challenged myself to make and share 60 Salads of Summer. My daughter Danica, who is a very creative cook, is helping me. And we're looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labor. I can't promise they'll all be healthy, but I can promise they'll all be delicious. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

12. Kiwi Strawberry Salad with Orange Cashew Vinaigrette

















My sister, Debi Swanberg, recently shared this recipe with me over the phone.  I jotted it down at the time and set it aside.  This morning I pulled it out, with the intention of adding its ingredients to my grocery list.  Some of my notes weren’t entirely clear, and I decided to change a few bits, but I think I got the gist.  

This is a very interesting salad, with an orange vinaigrette dressing that contains no oil, but only nuts.  I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical and decided to make the dressing up ahead of time to make sure it was okay.  OMG.  Debi, I apologize if I didn’t get the ingredients down 100%, but I won’t apologize for the flavor.  DELICIOUS.  Juicy orange and zest, orange vinegar and balsamic vinegar and raw cashews and toasted sesame seeds make an irresistible finish to a delicious and beautiful summer salad.  Thanks again for sharing it!

Ingredients

1 head red leaf lettuce, washed, trimmed and torn into bite size pieces
2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
1 lb strawberries, trimmed and sliced (keep them thick so they stand up to tossing)
1 cup blueberries
1 small shallot, sliced
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, lightly toasted and divided (use half for the salad, half for the dressing)

Dressing

Zest and juice of one orange (blood orange or something juicy)
2 Tbsp orange champagne vinegar*
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 handful (roughly 1/2 cup) raw cashews
2 T toasted sunflower seeds (from above)
1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt

Blend the ingredients for the dressing (I used a nutri-bullet, but you can use a blender or food processor).  Depending on how juicy your orange was, this makes quite a bit of dressing.  Dress your salad lightly and serve right away.

Serves 4-6

*If you live in an area where there’s a Trader Joe’s, they carry Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar.  It’s super yummy.  If you’re not in an area where you can get this, and you can’t find an orange vinegar, I suggest you increase the balsamic by 2 more Tbsp OR add 2 T of lemon juice.  You're looking for a little acidity to balance the sweetness of the orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment