Ah summer. When I was a kid summer was THE BEST. School was out, the weather was great, there were more things to do and everyone had plenty of time. I grew up in Michigan, and summer was definitely my favorite time of year. I remember swimming and bonfires and camping and FOOD. It was magical. We even ate differently in the summer. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful, whereas they really weren't even available throughout the rest of the year.

As I grew older I somehow lost that summer magic. I moved to southern California with my husband and 3 kids, and summer became just another season, so much like the other seasons. I did my best to create the magic while my kids were young, but by the time they were grown it was gone.

Last year I caught myself dreading summer, and actually heard myself saying the words, "I hate summer." I realized it was time for an intervention. I made a "Summer To Do List" and forced myself to get out there and have fun. I went to the beach, enjoyed Shakespeare in the park, picnicked, swam, watched movies under the stars and ate homemade lavender ice cream AND recruited lots of friends and family to do it all with me. Summer was back! It was such a valuable lesson, as I learned that I have to continue to create my life, my fun.

So as June 21st approaches I've started my new Summer To Do List. I really don't need it anymore, but I'll keep it there as a reminder to create, to enjoy, to have fun.

This blog is part of that. Those of you who know me know that I love good food, and I love to share it with people I love. In an effort to try new things and eat healthily, I've challenged myself to make and share 60 Salads of Summer. My daughter Danica, who is a very creative cook, is helping me. And we're looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labor. I can't promise they'll all be healthy, but I can promise they'll all be delicious. Enjoy!

Monday, June 23, 2014

My Obsession with Vinegar




















I realized this week, while making my grocery list for the coming week’s salads, just how many different types of vinegars I view as “absolutely necessary.”  Think about it!  You have to have a good red wine vinegar, which is sort of “all-purpose.”  White wine vinegar is a must for those lighter recipes.  A really good, aged balsamic is a staple.  Rice vinegar is mandatory for asian recipes.  Don’t get me started on infused balsamics.   

Maybe obsession is a strong word.  Maybe recognition of importance better describes my feelings towards vinegar.  This is not coming from a snobbish viewpoint, but from a midwest girl who grew up on lettuce and tomato with oil and vinegar (i.e., vegetable oil and apple cider vinegar).   In recent years I’ve thrown out (almost) all the bottles of salad dressing in my fridge and started making my own dressings.  It’s just too easy, and so much healthier and better.

A friend of mine shared a great quote with me this week:  “To make a good salad is to be a brilliant diplomatist.  The problem is to know how much oil one must put with one’s vinegar.”  - Oscar Wilde

Right on, Mr. Wilde!  I know cooks who have a formula:  Two parts oil to one part vinegar is considered correct.  But I think you need to be a bit more of an artist, or maybe even a diplomat.  Not all vinegars are created equally, nor are all oils, and certainly not all salads.  The key is to find that perfect combination, that confluence of elements that brings all ingredients together into harmony.  

The right vinegar is the key element.  I encourage you to explore vinegars--try different ones and see what you like.  Play with the balance between oil and vinegar and see what suits you.  It really is an art.

And may you never buy bottled salad dressing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment