Ah summer. When I was a kid summer was THE BEST. School was out, the weather was great, there were more things to do and everyone had plenty of time. I grew up in Michigan, and summer was definitely my favorite time of year. I remember swimming and bonfires and camping and FOOD. It was magical. We even ate differently in the summer. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful, whereas they really weren't even available throughout the rest of the year.

As I grew older I somehow lost that summer magic. I moved to southern California with my husband and 3 kids, and summer became just another season, so much like the other seasons. I did my best to create the magic while my kids were young, but by the time they were grown it was gone.

Last year I caught myself dreading summer, and actually heard myself saying the words, "I hate summer." I realized it was time for an intervention. I made a "Summer To Do List" and forced myself to get out there and have fun. I went to the beach, enjoyed Shakespeare in the park, picnicked, swam, watched movies under the stars and ate homemade lavender ice cream AND recruited lots of friends and family to do it all with me. Summer was back! It was such a valuable lesson, as I learned that I have to continue to create my life, my fun.

So as June 21st approaches I've started my new Summer To Do List. I really don't need it anymore, but I'll keep it there as a reminder to create, to enjoy, to have fun.

This blog is part of that. Those of you who know me know that I love good food, and I love to share it with people I love. In an effort to try new things and eat healthily, I've challenged myself to make and share 60 Salads of Summer. My daughter Danica, who is a very creative cook, is helping me. And we're looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labor. I can't promise they'll all be healthy, but I can promise they'll all be delicious. Enjoy!

Friday, August 22, 2014

53. Fennel, Prosciutto and Pomegranate Salad

















This is another Smitten Kitchen salad with a nod to Bon Appetit Magazine.  It had a pretty big “wow factor” for me, with its panoply of mediterranean flavors.  I’ve cooked with fennel before, but I’ve never eaten it raw.  And if you asked me if I like anisette flavor, I’d tell you I don’t.  But the fresh, true flavor of fennel is a far cry from the fake black licorice flavor I think of when I think of anisette.  It’s really refreshing.  Combine that with salty prosciutto, spicy arugula, mint and a pop from the pomegranate seeds, and it’s a hit.

Ingredients

2 cups very thinly sliced sliced fennel bulb
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp kosher salt
6 cups arugula
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup thinly sliced mint leaves
1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into strips
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

Toss the fennel with 1 Tbsp olive oil in a medium bowl.  Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and set aside.

Combine the arugula, green onions, mint, vinegar and olive oil in a large bowl, flat-ish bowl.  Toss; season with salt and pepper.  Add the fennel, drape with prosciutto and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.  

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment