Ah summer. When I was a kid summer was THE BEST. School was out, the weather was great, there were more things to do and everyone had plenty of time. I grew up in Michigan, and summer was definitely my favorite time of year. I remember swimming and bonfires and camping and FOOD. It was magical. We even ate differently in the summer. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful, whereas they really weren't even available throughout the rest of the year.

As I grew older I somehow lost that summer magic. I moved to southern California with my husband and 3 kids, and summer became just another season, so much like the other seasons. I did my best to create the magic while my kids were young, but by the time they were grown it was gone.

Last year I caught myself dreading summer, and actually heard myself saying the words, "I hate summer." I realized it was time for an intervention. I made a "Summer To Do List" and forced myself to get out there and have fun. I went to the beach, enjoyed Shakespeare in the park, picnicked, swam, watched movies under the stars and ate homemade lavender ice cream AND recruited lots of friends and family to do it all with me. Summer was back! It was such a valuable lesson, as I learned that I have to continue to create my life, my fun.

So as June 21st approaches I've started my new Summer To Do List. I really don't need it anymore, but I'll keep it there as a reminder to create, to enjoy, to have fun.

This blog is part of that. Those of you who know me know that I love good food, and I love to share it with people I love. In an effort to try new things and eat healthily, I've challenged myself to make and share 60 Salads of Summer. My daughter Danica, who is a very creative cook, is helping me. And we're looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labor. I can't promise they'll all be healthy, but I can promise they'll all be delicious. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

14. Roasted Beet Salad with Almonds and Goat Cheese


























This is a very elegant salad.  I got this recipe from the Bogle Family Vineyard in Napa Valley, CA, and have been looking forward to trying it at home.  I have to say that it’s one of my favorite salads to date.  Baby greens pair with golden and red beets, goat cheese and crunchy Marcona almonds to produce a simple and delicious summer salad. 

Ingredients

6 medium beets. 3 golden and 3 red
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup baby arugula
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup roasted, salted Marcona almonds
3 oz crumbled goat cheese
Salt and pepper

Dressing

2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup orange juice
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 garlic clove minced or grated
3/8 cup good olive oil
1 tsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions

Preheat oven to 400〫.  Scrub the beats and trim stem ends.  Cut in half, and place in center of a large piece of aluminum foil, and wrap into a purse.  Place on a baking sheet in the oven and roast for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until beets are tender when pierced with a fork.  Remove from oven and cool slightly.

When cool enough to handle, peel the beets and slice into wedges.  Place in a medium mixing bowl.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then cover with the 1/4 cup orange juice and the rice wine vinegar.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  (Can be marinated up to two days ahead of time). 

Combine the vinaigrette ingredients and shake well in a mason jar.  

When ready to serve, place the washed greens in a large bowl.  Toss with enough vinaigrette to moisten.  Transfer to a mixing bowl. 

Arrange the beet wedges, the goat cheese and the almonds on top of the greens.  Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.

Serves 5-6



No comments:

Post a Comment