Ah summer. When I was a kid summer was THE BEST. School was out, the weather was great, there were more things to do and everyone had plenty of time. I grew up in Michigan, and summer was definitely my favorite time of year. I remember swimming and bonfires and camping and FOOD. It was magical. We even ate differently in the summer. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful, whereas they really weren't even available throughout the rest of the year.

As I grew older I somehow lost that summer magic. I moved to southern California with my husband and 3 kids, and summer became just another season, so much like the other seasons. I did my best to create the magic while my kids were young, but by the time they were grown it was gone.

Last year I caught myself dreading summer, and actually heard myself saying the words, "I hate summer." I realized it was time for an intervention. I made a "Summer To Do List" and forced myself to get out there and have fun. I went to the beach, enjoyed Shakespeare in the park, picnicked, swam, watched movies under the stars and ate homemade lavender ice cream AND recruited lots of friends and family to do it all with me. Summer was back! It was such a valuable lesson, as I learned that I have to continue to create my life, my fun.

So as June 21st approaches I've started my new Summer To Do List. I really don't need it anymore, but I'll keep it there as a reminder to create, to enjoy, to have fun.

This blog is part of that. Those of you who know me know that I love good food, and I love to share it with people I love. In an effort to try new things and eat healthily, I've challenged myself to make and share 60 Salads of Summer. My daughter Danica, who is a very creative cook, is helping me. And we're looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labor. I can't promise they'll all be healthy, but I can promise they'll all be delicious. Enjoy!

Friday, July 25, 2014

24. Bosc Pears with Blue Cheese and Candied Pecans
























I’ve been out of town, visiting family in Michigan.  Today I decided I needed to get back to my challenge, so I invited a friend over to sample salads.  We shared a good red wine and sampled infused balsamic vinegars.  I’m a big fan of the Ojai Olive Oil Company’s aged infused balsamics, and have tried many.  While I was in Michigan, I traded some peach vinegar with my sister for a bottle of her North Carolina chocolate-espresso balsamic.  Yup, chocolate-espresso vinegar.  This vinegar is ridiculously good.  I’m not sure if I want to serve it over ice cream or make a salad with it.  Maybe both.

But I digress.  I’ve been wanting to do something with pears.  I love them, grew up with pear trees in our yard, and thought the combination of sweet pears and salty, savory blue cheese would work.  It did, in a big way.  

As we were putting the finishing touches on the salad, my friend, Dot, had this great idea to combine the chocolate-espresso balsamic with the blue cheese, and drizzle it over the pears.  Wow.  Delicious.  If you can get your hands on this vinegar (and I'll try to find a link from my sister), you won’t be disappointed.  But as it’s not necessarily on most grocery shelves, just reserve some of the dressing and mash it with the extra blue cheese.  You’ll get a similar effect.

Ingredients

3-4 cups wild arugula
1 Bosc pear, cored and sliced lengthwise
1/3-1/2 cup candied pecans
1 oz good blue cheese, crumbled + 1 Tbsp

Dressing

1 oz balsamic vinegar
1 oz olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste


Reserve about 1/4 of the dressing, and set aside.  Divide the arugula between two salad bowls or plates and lightly toss with the remaining dressing.  Top with pecans and blue cheese.  Arrange the sliced pears.  

Mix the remaining dressing with the extra Tbsp of blue cheese.  Drizzle over the pears.

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment