Ah summer. When I was a kid summer was THE BEST. School was out, the weather was great, there were more things to do and everyone had plenty of time. I grew up in Michigan, and summer was definitely my favorite time of year. I remember swimming and bonfires and camping and FOOD. It was magical. We even ate differently in the summer. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful, whereas they really weren't even available throughout the rest of the year.

As I grew older I somehow lost that summer magic. I moved to southern California with my husband and 3 kids, and summer became just another season, so much like the other seasons. I did my best to create the magic while my kids were young, but by the time they were grown it was gone.

Last year I caught myself dreading summer, and actually heard myself saying the words, "I hate summer." I realized it was time for an intervention. I made a "Summer To Do List" and forced myself to get out there and have fun. I went to the beach, enjoyed Shakespeare in the park, picnicked, swam, watched movies under the stars and ate homemade lavender ice cream AND recruited lots of friends and family to do it all with me. Summer was back! It was such a valuable lesson, as I learned that I have to continue to create my life, my fun.

So as June 21st approaches I've started my new Summer To Do List. I really don't need it anymore, but I'll keep it there as a reminder to create, to enjoy, to have fun.

This blog is part of that. Those of you who know me know that I love good food, and I love to share it with people I love. In an effort to try new things and eat healthily, I've challenged myself to make and share 60 Salads of Summer. My daughter Danica, who is a very creative cook, is helping me. And we're looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labor. I can't promise they'll all be healthy, but I can promise they'll all be delicious. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 3, 2014

15. Red, White & Blue Potato Salad























I wasn’t intending to include potato salad in this blog.  Besides the fact that I can count on a 3 lb weight gain just knowing that it’s in the fridge, I was trying to keep things a little greener, a little lighter.  However, this morning I walked into my local market to pick up a few things and there they were:  Red, white and blue potatoes.  I couldn’t resist.  

Potato salad and I go way back.  When I was growing up my parents owned a mom and pop grocery called the Mini Mart.  My dad was the butcher, and kept it well stocked with high quality meats, and my mom made TONS of homemade potato and macaroni salad, which they sold in the store.  I’m the youngest, and was never old enough to work in the store or help make the potato salad, but most of my sisters did both.  

Here’s my version of my mom’s potato salad*.  I was going to come up with something herby and healthy, but....it’s potato salad.  I decided to stick with a classic and give it a red, white and blue twist.

Ingredients

3-4 lbs red, white and blue potatoes, unpeeled and chopped into cubes of uniform size
2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 medium red onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
4 boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf italian parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Dressing

1 cup good mayonnaise
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp Colman’s mustard powder (the spicy kind)
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
1/2 tsp each coarsely ground sea salt and black pepper

Boil the potatoes in well salted water.  You want the potatoes to still be firm so they don’t mash when you toss them with dressing and veggies.  There are so many variables that I can’t tell you how long to cook them.  Just keep a fork handy and test them after they’ve boiled for 10-15 minutes, and pull them out right away when they’re fork tender.  Drain, run cold water over them to stop cooking, and set aside to cool.

Chop your veggies and make your dressing.  As soon as the potatoes have cooled combine with celery, onions, parsley, and dressing.  Gently fold it all together.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate for at least an hour, or until you’re ready to serve.

You may find, when making this salad ahead of time, that the potatoes soak up the dressing, making it a little dry for some.  Personally, I'm okay with this (did I mention the 3 lb weight gain every time I make it?).  If you like it a little heavier dressed, make up an extra half batch of the dressing--just keep the proportions the same.






*Disclaimer:  I did say it was my version, so I have taken some liberties with the family recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment