Ah summer. When I was a kid summer was THE BEST. School was out, the weather was great, there were more things to do and everyone had plenty of time. I grew up in Michigan, and summer was definitely my favorite time of year. I remember swimming and bonfires and camping and FOOD. It was magical. We even ate differently in the summer. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful, whereas they really weren't even available throughout the rest of the year.

As I grew older I somehow lost that summer magic. I moved to southern California with my husband and 3 kids, and summer became just another season, so much like the other seasons. I did my best to create the magic while my kids were young, but by the time they were grown it was gone.

Last year I caught myself dreading summer, and actually heard myself saying the words, "I hate summer." I realized it was time for an intervention. I made a "Summer To Do List" and forced myself to get out there and have fun. I went to the beach, enjoyed Shakespeare in the park, picnicked, swam, watched movies under the stars and ate homemade lavender ice cream AND recruited lots of friends and family to do it all with me. Summer was back! It was such a valuable lesson, as I learned that I have to continue to create my life, my fun.

So as June 21st approaches I've started my new Summer To Do List. I really don't need it anymore, but I'll keep it there as a reminder to create, to enjoy, to have fun.

This blog is part of that. Those of you who know me know that I love good food, and I love to share it with people I love. In an effort to try new things and eat healthily, I've challenged myself to make and share 60 Salads of Summer. My daughter Danica, who is a very creative cook, is helping me. And we're looking forward to sharing the fruits of our labor. I can't promise they'll all be healthy, but I can promise they'll all be delicious. Enjoy!

Monday, July 28, 2014

30. Buffalo Chicken Salad


















We’re big fans of buffalo wings in my family.  I love that spicy Frank’s Red Hot with cool blue cheese dressing and crunchy celery.  So why not combine them all in a salad?  Pure brilliance.

This is a very hearty, very flavorful salad.  It's very much like having wings, with all the flavors and textures you would expect.   It can definitely stand alone as the main event for dinner, with 2 lbs of chicken tenders.  

I thought about making individual salads, but I got lazy at the last minute and made it into one big family style salad.  If you want to do individual dinner salads, this recipe makes 4 very large (restaurant size), or 6 good-sized individual salads.


Ingredients

2 lbs chicken tenders, grilled
3 romaine hearts, chopped
3 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/4 lb crumbed blue cheese
1/2 stick butter
3/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce


Blue Cheese Dressing

1/2 shallot, minced
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp chives, chopped
1 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 lb blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Make the dressing ahead of time to let the flavors mingle.  Combine all but the blue cheese in a large bowl and whisk.  Fold in the blue cheese.  Transfer to a covered jar and refrigerate.

Grill the chicken tenders (don’t overcook!) and set aside on a plate.  Combine the romaine, celery, onion, tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles in a large, wide bowl.

You can chop the cooked chicken tenders or keep them whole (or a combination of the two).  Melt the butter in a heavy skillet.  As soon as it’s bubbly, add the Frank’s Red Hot sauce and stir to combine.  Transfer the chicken to the pan and stir to coat.  Top the salad with the warm, spicy chicken and serve right away, with dressing on the side.

If you're not a fan of blue cheese, just leave it out and serve with ranch dressing.

Serves 4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment